Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying MatCap materials, part of ZBrush 3 for Windows Essential Training.
You notice that the 3D objects in ZBrush, when they are drawn on the canvas,…have this default red wax material applied. This is a special material called a…MatCap material, and all the MatCap materials are found here at the top of the…Material Library. Gorilla is always a good one, looks kind of ominous.…So what is a MatCap material? Well, let's first compare it to a regular…material, one of the standard materials here at the bottom of the Material…Library. I'm just going to choose Basic Material. You will notice when I go to…the Light palette and I start to reposition the light by dragging on the Sphere…icon; now it's just positioning the light on the canvas, the light updates on the model.…
When I choose a MatCap material, such as the Red Wax material, and I start to…change the light, there is no update; it's as if the light is not working. The…reason for this is the lighting on the object is actually baked in as part of…the material, its part of the MatCap material. So as much as I want to change…
- Building and posing digital armatures for sculpture
- Importing models from other 3D programs
- Learning how to sculpt a human head based on reference images
- Detailing skin and surfaces using textures and stencils
- Creating illustrations with depth, lighting, and surface materials
Skill Level Beginner
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. The ZBrush Interface
2. Working with 3D Models and Primitives
3. Digital Sculpting
4. Color, Texture, and Materials
5. Using ZBrush Sculpts in Other 3D Programs
6. Illustrating with ZBrush
7. Movies, Macros, and ZScripts
8. Top 14 Pitfalls for Beginners
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.