Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Explore the Yammer homepage, part of Yammer 2016 Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] Even though Yammer is an app that evolves all the time, there are areas of Yammer that haven't changed even though they may have been relocated. The first is our home page, and this is where we are now. When you login to Yammer, you're at yammer.com, you notice home is actually in the URL. Also, this icon, home, is selected. On the left-hand side of the home page, we have some other icons to visit the inbox, to look at notifications. We have a menu that allows us to take various actions.
Below that, we have a search box that allows us to search throughout Yammer. Next, we have our groups. I can click here to see other groups, but these are groups that I am a member of, and if I wanted to go see for example the information technology group, I can simply click. I can add other members to this group if I wish, and it's a page that looks similar to my home page, however this is for a group. If I go back to Home, in the center, I have an Activity Feed, and any group I go to in the center also has an activity feed.
Below the groups, I have information on external groups. The ability to learn more, this is a relatively new feature in Yammer, so there's a learning moment here. The ability to create a new group, and before I do that, I always want to make sure that group doesn't exist. There's no point in having five versions of the same group. Then we have Discover more groups so that I could see other groups that exist, or that could be created.
Then finally, we have me, right here, and some settings that allow me to view my profile, edit settings, network admin, and so on. As I indicated previously, the center of the screen is my activity feed. This allows me to post an update like status. Notice automatically it's going to All Company. That's because I'm on my home page. If I were in a specific group, it would be posting to that group.
I can also create a poll, I can praise someone, I can make an announcement, I can view the activities here in my feed. In my right-hand column at the top, I have some activities that I can take that will help me continue my work with Yammer. Get Yammer for desktop, write a post, and so on, invite coworkers, view the App Directory, see groups that have been suggested for me, and because I'm an admin, I can add company resources here.
At the very bottom of the page, I can click to see who's online now. Right now, I'm the only person who's online, but I can point to any of these folks, and get information. See what groups they're members of, send them a message, follow them. My inbox is right here. I've received a new private message. Great, unread messages, all my messages, lots of them.
Notifications, two new people are following me, that's great, and then remember here we have a menu, and we'll be taking a look at the options for this menu in the remainder of the course. One more area we should look at briefly. I have notifications here as well. These notifications though are not notifications simply from Yammer, these are my notifications from Office 365. This gear is my settings for Office 365, help for Office 365, and my account and profile on Office 365.
If I want to leave Yammer and go to another app, I can use the waffle to do so. If I wish to close Yammer, I can simply close my browser. If I want to log out, I actually need to Sign out of Office 365.
- Explain how you might best us Yammer within your organization.
- Recall what happens when you log into Yammer and you are not logged into Office 365.
- Explain how to add a topic to an existing post.
- Identify how you would choose topics for a post.
- List the steps for finding something posted last week.
- Recall how to upload files without attaching them to a post.
- Recognize how to add new members to a private group that is hidden.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/17/2017. What changed?
A: Videos were added that show how to send private messages and work with files in Yammer.