Learn about the concepts behind push notifications and learn about the various platform notification systems.
- [Instructor] So although the underlying infrastructure for Push Notification Service or System is fairly complex, in reality, what we care about is actually very simple. A push notification sends information. The information gets translated into template and payload specific information, and that device and platform specific information gets sent to a device. The PNS provides a barebone push functionality to deliver a message to a device with a provided handle and has no common interface.
So, as long as a push notification system has a handle, it can send content. And as long as the template and payload translation translates that information correctly, a payload can be sent to a device. A payload is simply a structured or unstructured message. It's really the data that gets sent to a device.
Note: This course is part 7 of a 9-part series, Mastering Xamarin.Forms Development, which explains how to build robust, cross-platform mobile apps with Xamarin.Forms. Visit Scott Peterson's instructor page to watch the entire series.
- Notification configurations for Android, iOS, and Windows
- Configuring push notification services
- Adding platform-specific notification support
- Responding to notifications