Learn how to create a custom control that derives from the included Entry control and include it in your page.
- [Instructor] Another way we can get a little more advanced…with our controls is to take advantage of the process…that Xamarin uses to build controls.…If we take a look at our entry control up here,…you'll see that it is a generic control,…and on each platform, then, Xamarin has a renderer…that knows how to create the appropriate platform-specific…text views, or text boxes, or those sorts of things.…We're gonna do the same thing.…We're gonna go to our shared project here,…and add a new folder called Controls.…
And then we're gonna add a new file in there.…We'll call it Number Entry,…and what we're gonna do is create an entry…that defaults to a numeric keypad.…So we'll derive from Entry, hit escape,…and we'll add in the Xamarin Forms using statement,…and that's all it takes to create our custom controls,…so we'll just save that, go back to our order form here,…and let's copy this, and then we'll comment it,…and what I wanna be able to do, then,…is put my number entry here,…so I should change that to Number Entry,…
- Creating a Xamarin.Forms solution
- Navigating between pages
- Screen layouts and controls in Xamarin.Forms
- Data binding
- Adding style to a control
- Using a Xamarin.Essentials package
- Embedding native controls in your shared forms
- Writing custom renderers
Skill Level Beginner
Xamarin Development: Authentication and Identitywith Matt Milner1h 32m Intermediate
What you should know1m 21s
2. Layout and Controls
3. Native Platform Integration
4. Native Controls and Renderers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.