A style needs to be implemented as a theme on an activity to work correctly. Look at how to apply that style and what changes to the activity need to be made.
- [Instructor] In the last video,…we created a base style.…Now we want to override that style to…add some settings on Lollipop or later devices.…To do this, under the resources directory,…we create a new values V21 folder.…Inside this folder, we'll create a…new styles XML file.…We are using the special resources folder…structure in Android to specify anything…in this new values V21 folder will…be used on API version 21 and up.…
API 21 is the version for Lollipop.…Anything not found here will go back…and use the items set in the base values folder.…For example, the colors I defined in the…colors XML folder in the last exercise…will show up for Lollipop and above devices,…even though they are not in the values of V21 folder.…The values of V21 folder will only…contain new items and overrides.…This new style is also named theme by theme…and inherits from the same my theme.base…we created under value styles XML.…
I usually copy the code to do this…from an existing project.…I've got that in a text file here.…And we'll paste it right inside my XML file.…
- Breaking down a material design layout
- Adding AppCompat
- Adding icons and floating action buttons
- Animating the appearance
- Creating a RecyclerView
- Creating a ViewHolder
- Modifying the adapter
- Adding CardView
- Adding transition animations
- Adding a Snackbar
- Working with CoordinatorLayout
Skill Level Intermediate
F# and Xamarin Development Basicswith Rachel Reese56m 43s Intermediate
1. What Is Android Material Design?
2. Implementing Material Design
3. Floating Action Button
View state change animations4m 17s
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.