Icons are all over in material design. Luckily Google has provided hundreds of icons you can use in your apps.
- [Narrator] One thing that can be difficult when creating a new app can be finding the graphical assets (mumbles). Google has helped us with this by creating a library of icons to use in our applications. They can be found at material.io/icons. The icons are available under the open source Apache license version 2.0. By using the icons from the Google library you will help make your app look and feel like other material design applications on the Android platform. And if we look at this site and scroll down you can see there's a fair amount of icons here, and they're each categorized.
Anytime you see the little red new indicator that's a new icon they're adding to this page, and they're constantly adding new icons. We're going to need a couple for our application, and we can use this search bar at the top, and we're going to look for one called add. And the one that we want if we scroll down is this little plus here. So we'll click on that, and instead of just downloading an icon, a little bar pops up at the bottom. First you can see there's the name of the icon, and also the possibility of downloading a few different sizes.
24dp is the standard size that you should use in your applications. If you need larger versions of these icons they're available as well. You can also switch between a white version of the icon and a black version of the icon. In our case we need a white version of the icon, so I'm going to leave it right there. And you can also decide whether you want an SVG or a PNG. For our application, we're going to use a PNG version of the icon. So I'm going to click on that, and by default this is going to go down to the downloads directory. We'll download the other icons we need for our app, and the one that we do need for our app is one called remove.
So I'm going to search that, and that's just going to be a minus sign. So I'll click on it as well, and we also want the white version of it, so I'll download that. I'm actually going to take these two icons and copy them into an icons directory. So I'll show them in the Finder here, and I'll take my two icons and move them over to our Icons folder. And that's how you can get some great looking icons for your app. Next, let's take a look at some of the concepts behind material design.
- Breaking down a material design layout
- Adding AppCompat
- Adding icons and floating action buttons
- Animating the appearance
- Creating a RecyclerView
- Creating a ViewHolder
- Modifying the adapter
- Adding CardView
- Adding transition animations
- Adding a Snackbar
- Working with CoordinatorLayout