Android and iOS are just different—and they should be. In this video, Tom Duffy demonstrates how React Native uses conditional processing to handle the differences. Tom also shows how to eject from create-react-native-app to prepare for deployment.
- [Instructor] As promised, let's…work on the style of our app.…I'm not crazy about the components rendering…in the middle of the view.…In NetBeans, jump down to the styles at the bottom of the…file, and change the justifyContent property to flex-start.…And then let's change the alignItems property to be stretch.…And then I'm going to add some margin,…and I'll set that to be, 15% should do it.…
Let's save that.…And our changes should be updated in both of the simulators.…So styling React Native components closely matches…using plain old CSS on html elements.…Just remember that you use JSON notation…for properties and values.…The React Native flex box, though,…isn't the same as this CSS flex box.…See the layout props guide in the React Native…documentation for more info.…
You've probably noticed that setting alignItems to center…looked better on iOS than stretch,…and vice versa for Android.…This is one of the problems with…doing cross-platform development.…Android and iOS are just different.…Fortunately, React Native includes a platform class…
- Hybrid vs. native cross-platform apps
- Choosing an editor
- Building a Cordova app
- Building an Ionic app
- Buildin an app with the Create React Native App
- Building an app with the React Native CLI
- Building a Titanium app
- Building a Xamarin app
Skill Level Beginner
Ionic 3.0 for Mobile App Developerswith Sani Yusuf5h 43m Intermediate
React Native: Building Mobile Appswith Steven Emmerich2h 32m Intermediate
1. Intro to Cross-Platform Development
4. React Native
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.