Scott outlines several common scenarios where push notifications can be used to enhance the user experience in Xamarin.Forms apps.
- [Instructor] Now that we have all our…push notifications services configured for iOS, Android…and Windows, and especially now…that we're leveraging the power of Azure notification hubs.…Let's just review some of the reasons…why we care about push notifications.…So, a push notification really is a powerful mechanism…for communicating directly to users.…But most people think of push notifications…as sending alerts or toasts,…which they're good for that, too.…We can notify users of updates or features simply through…some kind of a simple toast notification or alert.…But push notifications are also great,…for example for activating processes in the background.…
Let's say that we have a database that's getting updated…overnight, and we want the ability to send a simple push…notification to our devices,…then our devices in the background can update that data,…or pull all that data locally down into SQLite…just as a background process.…So that when the user loads up the app the next time,…all of that data is pre-populated.…
Note: This course is part 7 of a 9-part series, Mastering Xamarin.Forms Development, which explains how to build robust, cross-platform mobile apps with Xamarin.Forms. Visit Scott Peterson's instructor page to watch the entire series.
- Notification configurations for Android, iOS, and Windows
- Configuring push notification services
- Adding platform-specific notification support
- Responding to notifications