Join Joe Marini for an in-depth discussion in this video Associating a DTD with XML data, part of XML Essential Training.
- [Instructor] We're going to wrap up our discussion on DTDs…by picking up where we left off on the last exercise…and creating an external DTD that we can associate…with more than one XML file.…This is the business card XML file,…which is in a state where we last left it…in the previous exercise.…To create an external DTD,…let's open up the businesscard.dtd file;…and you'll see that it's empty.…What I'm going to do is copy the contents…from inside the document type definition in this file,…and I'm going to copy starting from the element business card…all the way down to the element email.…
I'm going to copy that over to this file here;…and I'll paste it in, and I'll save it.…So now I need to get rid of the contents in this file.…I got to get rid of those square brackets.…Now I'm going to type the word, system;…and then in quotes I'm going to type businesscard.dtd.…Now the value that's in these quotes right here…indicates that there's no path involved…with the businesscard.dtd file.…
It's in the same directory as my XML file.…
- What is XML?
- Advantages and drawbacks of XML
- Proper XML syntax
- Working with XML namespaces
- Styling XML tags
- Discovering and creating document content
- Manipulating XML content using XPath and XSLT
- Document type definitions and XML schema
Skill Level Beginner
Learn API Documentation with JSON and XMLwith Peter Gruenbaum1h 18m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. XML Overview
3. Working with XML
4. Manipulating XML with the DOM
5. XML and XPath
6. XML and XSLT
7. XSLT Examples
8. Document Type Definitions
9. XML Schema
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.