Join Demian Borba for an in-depth discussion in this video Add images and text with Repeat Grid, part of Adobe XD CC Essential Training: Design.
- [instructor] When it's time to modify the text inside your repeat grid, or course you can select one, enter, change it to whatever you want. But this is manual and it will take time. If you look at your exercise files folders, you can check the project text folder, and in there you have a couple of text files. So the first one that I'd like to show here is a very simple .txt file with four names. So it's one name, enter, another name, enter.
Very simple, no formatting at all. You can then drag that text file from Finder or Explorer on Windows into your text and it will populate. I just did that with the tablet one. And as you can see, it's populating across your grid. So that's saves a lot of time. You can also do the descriptions one. Let's say there's a class around this and the first line and the second line and third line, you can click drag, and it will populate across your grid.
Pretty cool. You can do that with images as well. So let's say I go to the project images folder. And the first thing I got to bring is all the thumbnails here for the teachers. I can select, not only one image but all of them, and I can drag into that shape. Same thing here. And as you can see, it's populating across everything. I can also do that with my classes. And as you can see, it's populating the entire grid.
So let's do that with our tablet version. And if you make changes to it, you replicate across your entire grid. So pretty cool, pretty fast. Another used case that you can have here is let's say you have post its. So I'll create a post it very quickly here. No border, this would be a yellow. And let's do a liner gradient. Kind of a nice yellow there. Then on top of that I'll have my text.
So I'll us the area text to draw, so click and drag. And I can say, "My idea will go here." Something lik that. You can position it right there. You can change the place. Once you have your decision there on the design, you can then select the entire set of elements there and call this shortcut command r or click on the button, and now you can create more post its.
Easily if you need to adjust padding just like you saw before. Very easy. So here I have 16, let's do 15 if I can get that right. And this one also 15 for padding, perfect. Now you can drag an entire text file. In our case this will be the project text, ideas. Here I have a file with over 90 ideas. I can then drag it from Finder into that and it will replace everywhere.
So very cool. Now I have my post its, my ideas in one place and I can export to document this process. So this is how you can bring images and text into your repeat grids.
- Setting up artboards
- Using square and layout grids
- Creating and editing vector shapes
- Working with masks
- Using symbols with text and image overrides
- Visually repeating elements with the new Repeat Grid
- Using the new Assets panel to manage colors and character styles
- Creating and consuming bitmaps and vectors from CC Libraries