Join Jessica Brody for an in-depth discussion in this video Offers and auctions, part of Sell Your Novel to a Major Publisher.
- [Presenter] Let's move away…from those depressing rejections…and talk about the really exciting stuff.…Offers.…And even better than that, multiple offers.…Meaning auctions and bidding wars.…This is the pinnacle of your journey,…the reason you purchased this course to begin with,…the selling of your novel.…So let's dive in.…It's finally happened.…Your dream came true.…After months and maybe even years of writing…and rewriting and revisiting and querying and rejections,…you finally have your very first offer…from a publishing house, which means someone wants…to buy your book; as in, pay you for your writing.…
For me, this was one of the most exciting times of my life,…when all my hard work and dedication finally paid off.…And I hope it will be for you too.…In this lecture I'm going to talk about…what to expect from your first book deal.…Once again, your agent will undoubtedly…explain everything you need to know in more detail,…but I think it's important…for you to have a solid foundation…and to know what to expect moving forward.…
- Comparing traditional publishing and self-publishing
- Writing and revising your novel
- Finding an agent
- Perfecting your pitch
- Writing a query letter
- Researching agents
- Submitting to agents
- Reading your book contract
- Negotiating advances and royalties
- Understanding the publishing process
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Publishing Process
Why I created this course2m 32s
2. Writing and Revising Your Novel
3. Introduction to Literary Agents
4. Creating and Perfecting Your Pitch
5. Writing Your Query Letter
6. Researching Agents
7. Submitting to Agents
8. Selling Your Novel
9. Navigating Your First Book Contract
10. The Publishing Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.