From building quiet thinking time into your day to designating sacred work hours for your project, get pointers on carving out the hours—and even the workspace—you need to get this job done.
- I'm not gonna lie to you,…crafting a well-written piece under a deadline…takes old-fashioned discipline,…so you're gonna need to dig down deep inside yourself…and dredge some up.…But I've got a few tips that will help you stay focused…and make the most of your time.…The first thing you need to know…is that there's no such thing as downtime.…You've got a lot to figure out on this project,…from timeline to sources, to structure and phrasing.…You need every spare moment you've got…for thinking through these mini puzzles.…So get in the habit of looking for think time…anywhere you can find it.…
Don't turn on the radio or plug in your music…when you get in the car.…That's think time.…Don't scroll through Instagram…while you're waiting in line at the checkout.…That's think time.…It takes discipline, but you'll be amazed…how much you can work through in one of these…one-off moments and capture on your voice recorder…or email yourself to use later…when you're back at your computer.…Speaking of which, an inviting, distraction-free workspace…
- Identify one thing you should do early on in your timeline.
- Explain how to zoom in on your main message.
- Recall the best way to protect your Einstein window.
- Recognize why you shouldn’t keep chasing that “better idea” once you’re deep into the writing process.
- Explain how to be remembered as the writer who makes deadlines look easy.