Join Jessica Brody for an in-depth discussion in this video Frequently asked questions about the publishing process, part of Sell Your Novel to a Major Publisher.
- [Instructor] As you set off on your publishing journey,…here are some questions you might run into along the way.…Will my publisher send me on a book tour?…This is a very common question.…And I think it's because we've all been romanticized…by movies and TV shows about the glamorous lives of authors.…We dream about selling that first book…for millions of dollars, going on a 26-city nationwide tour,…making appearances on Ellen and the Today Show,…opening up the New York Times…to see our book cover smiling back at us.…Unfortunately, the sad reality is…that these things don't happen…to most authors and most books.…
You probably didn't get a million dollars…for your first book, or maybe you did.…And chances are your publisher isn't going to pay…for you to go on a nationwide tour.…The majority of debut authors don't get sent on tour…because who's going to show up to the events?…Who knows who you are?…Tours are usually reserved for well-known authors…who have large followings, because then the publisher…knows they will sell a lot of books…
- Comparing traditional publishing and self-publishing
- Writing and revising your novel
- Finding an agent
- Perfecting your pitch
- Writing a query letter
- Researching agents
- Submitting to agents
- Reading your book contract
- Negotiating advances and royalties
- Understanding the publishing process
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Publishing Process
Why I created this course2m 32s
2. Writing and Revising Your Novel
3. Introduction to Literary Agents
4. Creating and Perfecting Your Pitch
5. Writing Your Query Letter
6. Researching Agents
7. Submitting to Agents
8. Selling Your Novel
9. Navigating Your First Book Contract
10. The Publishing Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.