Join Joe Dolson for an in-depth discussion in this video The intersection of WordPress themes and accessibility, part of WordPress: Accessibility.
- In a WordPress website,…how much of your site comes from the theme?…Let's break down a site…and take a look at the impact of your theme.…Your navigation menu is content you created…but the style and design comes from the theme…so let's drop those styles.…Everything in your header and footer…came from your theme too so goodbye to those.…How the page is organized, whether you have a sidebar…on the left or on the right, is set by your theme's CSS.…
Without it, they just show up in one column.…The width of your theme comes from CSS as well.…By default, an HTML page is the width of the viewport.…Though you've defined an alignment for images in the editor,…the actual positioning comes from your theme.…That great font?…Yes, that's the theme too.…Without it, you'll get your operating system…or browser's defaults.…Finally, while plugins and the WordPress core…can help build a basic or complex site,…the theme creates a framework…and everything else adds on to that.…
Without a theme, you won't see anything at all.…
This course, merging WordPress coding with accessible web design techniques, helps you make sure your website meets modern accessibility standards. You'll learn how to use the power of WordPress to quickly build a beautiful and accessible website that can be used by people with different types of abilities. Author Joe Dolson provides a broad introduction to accessibility and then focuses on practical steps to make sure your WordPress themes, plugins, and content are accessible and usable to all.
- What is web accessibility?
- Understanding the benefits of accessibility
- Building accessible forms
- Adhering to theme guidelines
- Creating accessible navigation
- Working with images, media, and other accessible content
- Integrating plugins
- Testing your site for accessibility