Writing and reading settings allow you to control default settings related to the creation of and distribution of content.
- [Instructor] The next two options under settings…are writing and reading.…The writing settings have to do with…what happens when you write content in WordPress.…The first of the settings is default post category.…Anytime you create a post in WordPress…it has to be filed under at least one category.…And this is the default category applied…until the author changes the category setting.…When you install WordPress,…there are no categories to find.…So, therefore, WordPress creates a category,…quite un-useful named, uncategorized.…
And every post you write will be placed…under the uncategorized category until you make a change.…So my recommendation is,…when you set up a new WordPress site,…immediately create a new category.…Call it news or updates or something like that.…Then, save that category.…Go in to the writing settings…and change this default post category setting.…You can create new categories,…either by creating a post and adding a category to it,…or by going to post, categories, and create a new category.…
- Adjusting settings
- Changing discussion and privacy settings
- Using the Customizer to adjust site identity and visuals
- Creating and customizing menus
- Installing and activating themes
- Extending WordPress with plugins
- Adding and managing users
- Managing comments and spam
- WordPress security and maintenance
Skill Level Beginner
How WordPress works1m 47s
2. Configuration with the Customizer
3. Extending WordPress with Plugins
5. Security and Maintenance
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.