Learn how to work with custom fields when building WordPress plugins. Custom Fields are basically bits of metadata that are attached to posts which are flexible and enable you to extend post functionality in many ways.
- [Instructor] In WordPress, custom fields…are a type of metadata.…WordPress functions like these…make it possible to get, add, update,…and delete metadata, just about anywhere.…You can add metadata to posts, users, comments, and terms.…These functions are all very similar,…and straightforward to use.…In this video, we focus on metadata for posts,…also known as custom fields.…Custom fields consist of key-value pairs,…and each key name can be used more than once.…
So a post can have multiple custom fields…all named the same thing, like "contributor" or "notes."…In the Admin Area, custom fields are displayed…in a meta box named "Custom Fields."…Here, we see several custom fields…attached to the "Hello world" post.…They can store just about any data that's necessary.…Each custom field has a name,…and a value.…Custom fields can be added by plugins,…or directly by the user.…
So now that we're familiar with custom fields,…let's see how to implement them from within a plugin.…Here is the plugin demo for this tutorial.…This demo contains example functions that show…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.