Learn how to select, sanitize, and escape custom data using the wp-db object. Create your own custom database queries to get information that is not accessible using existing core functions. These tools give developers great control over the types of data that can be accessed via plugin.
- [Instructor] When it comes to getting information…from the database, WordPress has your back.…The WordPress core provides literally hundreds…of functions that enable us to get just about…any data that's needed.…Here are just a few examples to give you an idea.…There are many of them, but there may be times…when you can't find a core function to…get the data that you need.…Fortunately, WordPress provides a solution.…A wpdb class contains a set of functions…that interact with the WordPress database.…The class instantiates a global object variable…named wpdb, so instead of calling the class directly,…we can use the global wpdb variable.…
Here's how it works.…We first declare the global wpdb object,…and then use it to interact with the database.…A wpdb object provides numerous methods.…These methods enable us to do things like…execute SQL queries, escape data, show errors,…clear the result cache, and many other tasks.…Let's take a closer look at some of these functions…to see how they work and how to use them…to query the WordPress database.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.