Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Where does the custom post type and taxonomy code belong?, part of WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.
…When you write the code to create you new custom post types and taxonomies,…you first have to make the decision of where you want to place this code.…You have two main options.…You can either create a plugin that contains all the code that creates the…custom post types and taxonomies, or you…can place that code directly into your theme.…Now there are benefits and drawbacks to both,…so let's take a look at each approach.…First creating a plugin.…The recommendation is that any time you create a custom post type…or custom taxonomy, you usually want to put the code in a plugin.…
That way you can display the content in any theme, and…you can also switch themes without the custom post types and…custom taxonomies getting deactivated once you deactivate a theme, and you…can turn the function on and off, independently of the theme.…Now, if you create a plug-in and place your custom…post type code within the plug-in, and you want to display…the custom post type using a custom template or you want…to display output from your custom taxonomies in your existing template.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.