Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video When to modify shipping prices, part of WordPress Ecommerce: WooCommerce Plugins.
- [Instructor] If you build enough ecommerce sites, you're going to see all sorts of requests about shipping, some of which are going to be really easy to implement and some of which would take dozens of hours. One client will want free shipping over a certain threshold. Another client will want to charge $1 for small items and $10 for large items. And another client will want to charge 10 for the first item, four for the second, $2 for the third, and so on. Now, the good news is that WooCommerce handles a lot of these out of the box.
The first example with free shipping can be handled in WooCommerce Core. The free shipping method should work for just about every client. The second example with two different shipping costs per item can be handled by using shipping classes, which are included in WooCommerce Core, but many people don't know it's there. And the third example with the diminishing price per item can handled with table rate shipping. If you get anything more complex, you may have to custom code something.
Generally speaking, a client's development budget can be better spent by making the product pages look nicer or the shop page or their homepage or even the blog. All of those should increase conversions and get more sales, so I usually try to steer clients to use pre-built shipping solutions and spend their money elsewhere. But sometimes clients need very specific shipping requirements, and the amazing thing about WooCommerce is that any request, no matter how complex, can be handled.
- Creating a WooCommerce plugin
- Finding hooks within WooCommerce
- Creating settings pages
- Analyzing WooCommerce settings
- Configuring settings
- Customizing the edit product page
- Using hooks on the product page
- Customizing the WooCommerce checkout
- Adding custom order statuses
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/07/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: adding a meta box, saving product fields, customizing product titles, and adding data to product page tabs.