Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow this course, part of WordPress DIY: Freelance/Independent Website.
- In this course, we'll build a new freelance or independent website from scratch, using WordPress. The goal of the course is that once you're done watching, you'll have a fully functioning website for your freelance or independent business or project that you can use now, and extend in the future. To be able to follow along, you'll need a few key items in place, both practically and mentally. First you need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout the course, I'll be working on a live site hosted at SiteGround, and you should follow along with your own live site hosted on your preferred provider.
When you're done watching the course, you can actually visit the course I built at wpdiy.net, but that's for later. If you don't already have a site set up and ready to go, you can check out the short course WordPress DIY: Setting Up WordPress, right here in the lynda.com library. This course was created specifically to get you up and running for the WordPress DIY series as quickly as possible. Throughout the course, I'll be doing a lot of work in the WordPress admin area, so its well worth the time to familiarize yourself with how WordPress works before continuing.
If this is the first time you're using WordPress, or you need a refresher on how use everyone's favorite content management system, go check out WordPress Essential Training hosted by your truly, also here in the lynda.com library. And finally, you need your own content. As I said in the beginning, the goal of this course is for you to build your own website, and that can only be done with your own content. As you watch the course, you'll see me using content from a fictitious freelancer specializing in custom cake design, and I'll tell you to add your own content.
What content you ask? Well, in the next chapter, I'll walk you through the process of figuring out what content you need to create, where it should on the site, and how to set everything up.
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Establishing the goals for the site
- Making a content inventory
- Adding custom menus
- Installing and activating themes
- Customizing the front page
- Setting up a contact form and social media buttons
- Controlling SEO and social sharing text
- Securing your site and managing spam