Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow this course, part of WordPress DIY: Small Business Website.
- In this course we'll build a new small business website from scratch using WordPress. The goal of the course is that once you're done watching you'll have a fully functional website for your small business that you can use now and extend in the future. To be able to follow along you need a few key assets in place both practically and mentally. First you need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout the course I'll be working on a live site hosted at SiteGround and you should follow along using your own live site hosted on your preferred provider.
When you're done watching you can actually visit the site I build at wpdiy.net but that's for later. If you don't already have a site set up and ready to go you can go check out the short course WordPress DIY: Setting Up WordPress right here in the lynda.com library. This course was created specifically to get you up and running for the WordPress DIY series as quickly as possible. Throughout the course I'll be doing a lot of work in the WordPress admin area, so it's well worth the time to familiarize yourself with how WordPress works before continuing.
If this is the first time you are using WordPress or you need a refresher on how to use everyone's favorite content management system, go check out WordPress Essential Training hosted by yours truly also here in the lynda.com library. And finally you need your own content. As I said in the beginning the goal of this course is for you to build your own site and that can only be done with your own content. As you watch the course you'll see me using content from a fictitious small business specializing in landscaping and I'll tell you to add your own content as we move along.
What content you ask? Well, in the next chapter I'll walk you through the proces of figuring out what content you need to create, where it should go on the site, and how to set everything up.
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Establishing the goals for the site
- Making a content inventory
- Adding a custom menu
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Customizing the front page
- Adding promotions
- Setting up a contact form, calendar, and social media buttons
- Securing your site and managing spam