Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow this course, part of WordPress DIY: Weddings and Special Events.
- In this course, we'll build a new wedding or special events website from scratch using WordPress. The goal of the course is that once you're done watching, you'll have a fully functional website for your wedding or other special event you can use now or extend in the future. To be able to follow along, you'll need a few key items in place, both practically and mentally. First, you need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout the course, I'll be working on a live site, and so should you. When you're done watching, you can actually go visit the site I built at wpdiy.net, but that's for later.
If you don't already have a site set up and ready to go, you can check out the short course "WordPress DIY: Setting Up WordPress," here in the lynda.com library. This course was created specifically to get you up and running for the WordPress DIY series as quickly as possible. Throughout the course, I'll be doing a lot of work in the WordPress admin area, so it's well worth the time to familiarize yourself with how WordPress works before continuing. If this is the first time you're using WordPress or you need a refresher on how to use everyone's favorite content management system, go check out "WordPress Essential Training," hosted by yours truly, also here in the lynda.com library.
Finally, you need your own content. As I said in the beginning, the goal of this course is for you to build your own site. And that can only be done with your own content. As you watch the course, you'll see me using content from a fictitious couple along with some fantastic photography by Capen Photography. You'll notice their logo of two rings in the top corner of most of the photos. As you watch me add content, you go add your own. Well, in the next chapter, I'll walk you through the process of figuring out what content you need to create, where it should go on the site and how to set everything up.
Ready for the next stage? Find more courses in this series by searching for Wordpress DIY.
- Making a content inventory
- Finding, installing, and activating the right theme for your site
- Setting up menus and other configuration options
- Using plugins to add features like a gallery or guestbook
- Launching your WordPress site