Join Joe Dolson for an in-depth discussion in this video What does a plugin do?, part of Accessibility for WordPress.
- If you've used WordPress, it's hard to imagine…that you haven't installed a few plugins.…Even disregarding the two plugins that automatically ship…with every release of WordPress,…the amazing diversity of plugins is one of the strengths…of the WordPress community.…And from an accessibility perspective,…it's an amazingly challenging problem.…Why are plugins such an accessibility challenge?…Is it because they are inherently inaccessible?…No, certainly not.…
The same characteristic that makes them powerful…also makes them difficult.…Diversity.…Plugins can do almost anything in a WordPress site.…Using the powerful system of hooks and filters…that make up the WordPress plugin API,…plugins can do whatever you can imagine from them.…They tend to be used to add custom functionality,…either on the front-end or on the backend.…So that's what we'll look at the most…Themes are intended to perform a specific…narrow set of tasks.…
They display your content and implement…the various standard WordPress templating functions.…
This course, merging WordPress coding with accessible web design techniques, helps you make sure your website meets modern accessibility standards. You'll learn how to use the power of WordPress to quickly build a beautiful and accessible website that can be used by people with different types of abilities. Author Joe Dolson provides a broad introduction to accessibility and then focuses on practical steps to make sure your WordPress themes, plugins, and content are accessible and usable to all.
- What is web accessibility?
- Understanding the benefits of accessibility
- Building accessible forms
- Adhering to theme guidelines
- Creating accessible navigation
- Working with images, media, and other accessible content
- Integrating plugins
- Testing your site for accessibility