Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the exercise files, part of WordPress: Building Child Themes.
- [Instructor] For any video where we actually write code, I've supplied the code at the start of the video and the code at the end of the video. If you have access to the exercise files you can download and interact with them. You can browse by chapter and by lesson. Once you open up the start or end folder, you'll see wp content. Wp content holds all the themes, plugins, uploads and update information for Word Press. You can replace your wp content folder with the wp content folder we provide, and interact with the exact code that we worked on in a specific video. I've also included the starting site. And yours should look something like this. You can use my starting site or create your own. With the exercise files, you just have to replace your wp content with the wp content folder that we provide. In the course I show you how to use local development software to build your site. I strongly recommend that you use the exercise files on a test or local website. You don't want to be playing with this code on your live site. As long as you're using it on a test or local site, feel free to browse through the code and modify it as you see fit.
- Setting up your development environment and editor
- Picking a parent theme
- Creating a child theme
- Including style sheets
- Creating and modifying styles
- Modifying functions
- Hooking functions
- Creating and modifying template files
- Adding menus and functionality
- Migrating theme files to a live WordPress site
Skill Level Intermediate
Using the exercise files1m 13s
1. Building on a Solid Foundation
2. Creating a Child Theme
3. Child Themes and CSS
4. Working with Function Files
5. Working with Template Files
6. Add New Functionality
7. Wrapping Up
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.