Learn how to use the Cron API, which enables you to perform time-based tasks at recurring intervals. Using WP-Cron in plugins enables you to emulate UNIX cron functionality, so you can do things like check schedules, update content, and modify existing data at regular intervals.
- [Instructor] In this video,…we learned how to use the cron API,…also referred to as WP-Cron.…WP-Cron enables us to perform time-based tasks…at recurring intervals.…This is useful for things like working…with temporary data, checking for updated content,…publishing scheduled posts, and so forth.…WP-Cron is a pseudo cron service.…Instead of running constantly like Unix cron,…WP-Cron runs only on page load.…So, when a page is loaded, WP-Cron checks the queue…of scheduled tasks and runs anything…that is past the scheduled time.…
In most cases, this pseudo approach works well,…but for sites with little activity,…the queue of scheduled events can build up.…The other big difference between Unix cron…and WordPress cron is how events are scheduled.…With real system cron, events are run…at specific times like 3:16 every morning.…With WP-Cron, events are run at specified intervals…like every day, hour, or minute.…WordPress provides three default intervals…for WP-Cron: hourly, every 12 hours, and every 24 hours.…
It's also possible to define our own custom intervals.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.