Taken together, the three functions of Options API enable you to add, update, and delete options in the WordPress database. This tutorial provides examples for each of these functions, which can be useful when you need to manage options outside of the Settings API.
- [Instructor] In this video,…we look at how to use the Options API…to add, remove, read, and update options.…The Options API gives us an easy way…to store data in the WordPress database.…Here's the Codex guide to the Options API,…which we'll summarize in this tutorial.…Here are the main functions…for working with the Options API.…All options handled by these functions are stored…in the WordPress database.…We can find all WordPress options in the options table.…
Here we can find all of the options for our WordPress site.…We've already seen some examples of the get_option function…in the previous tutorial,…Adding Settings Callback Functions.…In that video, we used get_option to get the options…that were added via the Settings API.…So, Options handled by the Settings API…and the Options API are all stored…in the same Options table in the database.…Fortunately, the Options API is much simpler…to work with than the Settings API.…
Let's take a look.…From the Exercise Files for this tutorial…we have a plugin that shows how to…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.