…Now that we've created a plugin, we need to…test it from within WordPress to make sure it works.…Now you'll remember I created my plugin file…inside the plugins folder, in my WordPress install.…And that means, if I now go to my site and go to the back end and select Plugins…and Installed Plugins, the new plugin I created should appear,…and here it is, Morten's Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.…From here, I can now activate the plugin to see that it works, and unless there…are any major errors, the plugin will now…be activated and is now running on my site.…
Of course, the plugin isn't actually doing anything right now,…it's just active, and that's because there's no code in it.…But, once we start adding code, you'll see…the plugin will now interact with the site.…The great thing about using a plugin rather than adding…this code directly into the theme, is that plugins have fallbacks.…So if there's a coding error within the plugin itself, something…that might break the site, WordPress will automatically not run that code.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.