Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Stop file hotlinking, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] You see this image?…It's posted here at our demo site.…Unfortunately, this other site…is stealing the image using a technique…known as hotlinking.…We can see this by inspecting the source code.…As you can see, the image is hosted at our demo site…perishablepress.net.…But notice the URL of this site.…This is not perishablepress.net.…So we see that the image is being hotlinked.…In general, hotlinking is what you call it…when some website, without permission,…links directly to a resource that is hosted…on a different server.…
So when a site hotlinks your images,…they essentially are stealing your bandwidth…and benefiting at your expense.…This happens all the time on the web,…but there is a sure fire _htaccess technique…for stopping it.…To stop other sites from hotlinking your resources…copy the Method 1 code snippet from the Exercise Files…for this tutorial.…Then open your sites route _htaccess file…and paste the snippet before any WordPress specific rules.…In plain language, this code does the following:…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.