Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Stop automated spam, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video, we use the htaccess file…to prevent a common type of spam known…as No Referrer spam.…No Referrer spam happens when spammers…target the WordPress comment script directly…without actually visiting your website like a human being.…Preventing this type of spam helps…to save bandwidth and other server resources…and also keeps your site looking clean and professional.…Here we see the files and directories…that are included in a default installation of WordPress.…To protect against No Referrer spam,…first open the htaccess-code snippet…from the exercise files, copy the code…and then open the htaccess file located…in the root directory of your WordPress installation.…
If an htaccess file doesn't exist,…you can add the one that's included…in the exercise files for this tutorial.…Once you have the htaccess file in place…go ahead and paste the snippet anywhere…near the top of the file before…any WordPress related code.…The only thing we need to edit…is this line right here.…We want to change the example.com…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.