Get a local WordPress site set up to provide a secure development environment for experimentation.
- [Instructor] The core of the Task Book application is a standard WordPress site, and I do mean standard. Once we're done building out the entire application and the plugin that goes with it, you should be able to install Task Book on any WordPress site and shield off the content from Task Book so it's only available on the back end of WordPress and through the application. The front end of WordPress will never have access to the tasks. And that's the whole point of this exercise. To show you that using the REST API we can shield off content so that you have one front-facing solution from your WordPress site and then something else happening in a third-party app that sits somewhere else.
And all of this is handled through the same database with the same WordPress code. So, as we move forward, you'll see me working with this site that sits under restfultasks.dev. This is just a standard WordPress install. I've done nothing to it except give it the site name. Right now, I am the Administrator. Later on we'll add some additional users to test things, but other than that, this is just WordPress straight out of the box, and this is probably how you should start, too.
- Planning the application
- Extending WordPress with a plugin
- Setting up the standalone application
- Configuring OAuth 2 in WordPress
- Building the task list view
- Building the new task view
- Creating a new task via the REST API
- Displaying conditional content
- Visualizing data using Graph.js
Skill Level Advanced
1. Plan the Application
2. Extend WordPress with a Plugin
3. Set Up the Standalone Application
Review of user flow2m 34s
4. Build the Task List View
5. Build the New Task View
6. Build the Update/View Task View
7. Bonus Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.