Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Set proper file permissions, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] Most web hosts do a good job…at setting default permissions for files and directories.…But it's a good idea to check…that everything is configured for optimal security.…In this screen, rephrase,…in this video we'll see how to check…for proper file permissions for your WordPress powered site.…According to the WordPress codex,…the default permissions for all WordPress files…is 644 and the default permissions…for all WordPress directories is 755.…These settings are optimal for giving WordPress…the access it needs while protecting itself…from external requests.…
Let's take a look at our WordPress files on the server…and check their file permissions.…Here we are looking at the list of files…in the WordPress installation directory.…Here we can check permissions for directories…and check permissions for files…and we can even drill down further…and check other permissions as desired.…Examining the permissions for these items,…we see that the directories are all 755…and the files are all 644,…so everything is right on track.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.