Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Restore your site, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video,…we're going to restore a WordPress site…that for whatever reason has crashed…and lost a bunch of data.…We'll use our demo site to illustrate this.…As you can see here, the site is no longer functional.…The only solution is performing a full site restoration…which includes the files and database.…The restoration process takes some time…but conceptually, is very straighforward.…Here are the basic steps.…First, we want to get the most current versions…of our backup files and database.…Then, we want to set up a maintenance page…to let visitors know that we'll be right back.…
Next, we'll upload the backup files, restore the database,…and then we want to test everything…for proper functionality.…Last, but not least, we'll remove the maintenance page…to allow visitors to return to the site.…To perform these steps we'll need…an FTP connection to upload our files…and an app to work with the database.…A very popular well-documented…and open-source app is phpMyAdmin.…phpMyAdmin is preinstalled on most servers.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.