Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Remove unused plugins and themes, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video,…we go through the different parts of…a WordPress installation and look at how to clean things up,…which files and plugins are safe to remove from the server,…where to look, and so on.…Running a tight ship is a key part of good security…and removing unused files and plugins,…eliminates potential attack factors…and helps keep your site clean and organized.…There are three main areas where we want to clean things up:…unused files and folders, unused and outdated plugins,…and unused and outdated themes.…
It's all about limiting your site's liability.…Less code on the server means less code that…could potentially be exploited should a vulnerability exist.…Depending on the circumstances,…even inactive themes and plugins may put your site at risk.…Here in the WordPress Admin area,…the first thing to check is the plugins page.…We want to take a good look at our installed plugins…to see if there are any that we don't need,…are no longer supported,…or are outdated or otherwise obsolete.…
For example, here is the ubiquitous Hello Dolly plugin.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.