Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Protect the installation page, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video, you'll see how to…protect the WordPress installation file…using a variety of different methods.…Protecting the installation file is important…because if things go wrong on the server,…it could be used by an attacker to gain access to your site.…Here we are looking at the WordPress install.php file,…which is located in the wp-admin directory.…This file is used when installing WordPress…and should be removed or protected…after the installation process is complete.…There are three different ways to do this.…
Method 1, we can simply delete the file…after installing WordPress.…Method 2, we can deny access to the file using htaccess…or Method 3, we can replace the file…with something more useful.…Any of these methods takes only a minute…and works just fine.…Let's run through each of them.…Method 1, delete the file.…The first method is to just delete the file from the server.…There is no reason to keep it after WordPress is installed.…The only real downside to this approach is…that WordPress may replace the missing file…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.