Explore some useful tools for setting up a development environment. Make sure debug mode is set up on your local WordPress installation.
- [Instructor] In this video, we make sure…that we're all set up for plugin development.…When it comes to setting up an environment…for developing WordPress plugins,…there is a mind-boggling number of tools at our disposal.…Here are some popular apps for setting up…a local server.…Any of these options should work fine with WordPress,…so pick something that works best for you.…If you need help getting set up, there are some…great virtual courses in the library.…For even more control over your development environment,…you can install your server on a virtual machine.…
This enables greater freedom, control and consistency.…Something else that you may want to consider…is using some kind of version control system.…Here are some popular choices.…Using version control for your plugins…can really help to keep things organized and on track.…As you get further into plugin development,…you may want to check out some of the many tools…that are available.…A list of available dev tools is virtually endless.…To give you some ideas, here are some popular tools…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.