Learn about pluggable functions and how they can be used to customize WordPress even further. Pluggable functions enable you to modify functionality to a greater degree than is possible using hooks alone — they're a handy tool to have in your utility belt.
- [Instructor] In this video,…we look at WordPress Pluggable Functions.…So far, we have seen how to customize WordPress…using action hooks and filter hooks.…Another way to customize WordPress…is to use Pluggable Functions.…WordPress provides a small set of Core functions…that can be replaced by our own custom functions.…Here is the official list of Pluggable Core Functions.…In the WordPress Core, these Pluggable Functions…are located in a file named pluggable.php.…
The pluggable.php file is located…in the wp-includes directory.…The functions contained in this file…are meant to be redefined as needed,…so developers can modify complex Core functionality…in their plugins.…Here's how it works.…Here, I'm jumping to a specific line,…558 in pluggable.php.…Let's say that we want our plugin…to use a custom logout function.…Here is the pluggable logout function…currently used by WordPress.…
It simply logs the user out by destroying the session…and clearing the authorization cookies.…And it also fires the wp_logout hook.…It's very straightforward.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.