Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Optional template files, part of WordPress: Building Progressive Themes with WP Rig.
- [Instructor] WordPress uses what's known as … the template hierarchy … to figure out which template file to use … when displaying a specific type of content. … This graphic comes from … the WordPress template hierarchy page … in the WordPress developer handbook, … and it shows you the entire flowchart … of the process of selecting which template file to use. … I'm showing you this because, at the very end, … on the right hand side here, … you can see index.php. … This is the fallback file for all template files, … so if no other template files exist, … WordPress automatically falls back to index.php … as the main template file. … That's what WPRIG does out of the box. … It provides index.php … as the only template file in use. … However, as you've seen previously in the course, … WPRIG also ships with optional template files … directly from the template hierarchy, … you can drag and drop into your theme … and they automatically take effect. … Those template files sit under the folder called "optional". …
- Setting up a WordPress theme development environment
- Installing WP Rig
- Building, activating, and testing a new progressive theme
- Editing CSS
- Using web fonts
- Editing existing templates
- Adding advanced features
- Translating a theme
Skill Level Beginner
WP Rig: A primer2m 5s
1. Configure a Development Environment for WP Rig
2. Install and Configure WP Rig
4. PHP and WordPress Templates
6. Extending WP Rig: A Practical Example
7. Going Further with WP Rig
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.