Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Tutor] In this video course, we've seen how to secure our WordPress powered sites from exploits and attacks. Out of the box, WordPress is reliable and secure, but hackers are constantly targeting top software. So it's more important now than ever to understand the basics and keep your site safe and secure for your visitors. Fortunately, securing WordPress is straightforward and completely doable as we've seen in this video course. By following the steps outlined in each video, you can add many layers of protection to your site and increase its security even further.
This brings us to the end of our video course on securing WordPress sites. As you continue your journey with WordPress, there are many great resources available. Some of my favorites are; WordPress Tavern to help stay current with community events, Winning WordPress for roundups of resources and tips, WordPress Mix for code snippets and tutorials, Digging into WordPress for links and in-depth tutorials. To learn more about WordPress security and htaccess, check out my books.
The Tao of WordPress, a complete guide for users, admins and everyone, Digging into WordPress, a complete guide for intermediate users, WordPress Themes in Depth which is all about building secure themes, and .htaccess made easy which shows you how to secure and optimize your site using htaccess. And for the official scoop on all things WordPress, make sure to check out wordpress.org where you can find the WordPress codex, the WordPress plugin directory, and the WordPress themes directory.
Also take a moment to bookmark these key security sites; The National Vulnerability Database, the Exploit Database, and Packet Storm for general security, news and resources. WordPress is the world's leading content management system so there are many more incredible security resources available online. Just visit your favorite search engine to discover it all. This is Jeff Star saying thanks for tuning in and learning how to develop secure sites with WordPress.
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security