Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of WordPress: Building Child Themes.
- [Instructor] Building a child theme … is just the tip of the iceberg … when it comes to customizing your WordPress site. … From here, you can dig in and do so many things. … You can dig even deeper into WordPress themes … and create your own themes from scratch. … If that's interesting to you, check out … WordPress: Building Themes from Scratch Using Underscores. … You can also focus on backend development … and learn all about custom functionality, … which you can add through your theme … or custom plugins, in which case I recommend … WordPress: Plugin Development. … There's also a bunch of courses … just on using WordPress, in general, … including setting up contact forms, … optimizing your site for search engines, aka SEO, … and building an online store with WooCommerce. … No matter which way you go, … I encourage you to be curious. … We looked at only maybe 2% … of the commonly used WordPress functions. … When you think a function … for something should exist, it likely does. … Feel free to explore WordPress.org to try to find it. …
- Setting up your development environment and editor
- Picking a parent theme
- Creating a child theme
- Including style sheets
- Creating and modifying styles
- Modifying functions
- Hooking functions
- Creating and modifying template files
- Adding menus and functionality
- Migrating theme files to a live WordPress site
Skill Level Intermediate
Using the exercise files1m 13s
1. Building on a Solid Foundation
2. Creating a Child Theme
3. Child Themes and CSS
4. Working with Function Files
5. Working with Template Files
6. Add New Functionality
7. Wrapping Up
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.