Learn how to customize your WordPress site with child themes.
- [Patrick] Building a WordPress child theme is one of the first steps that you can take towards becoming a WordPress developer. And by developer, I mean someone who can interact with code. Building your own child theme is such a great starting point because you're taking an existing theme and you're modifying it. And the skills you use to customize a theme are the same skills that you use to modify or write your own plugins. So this really is the foundation of being a WordPress developer. My name is Patrick Rauland, and 10 years ago, I learned how to be a WordPress developer by creating my own child theme. And I liked the platform so much, I spent the next decade going deeper and deeper into the WordPress world. Join me in my LinkedIn Learning Course as we build our very own child theme by taking an existing theme and modifying it. We'll customize it so it's a perfect match for our brand. And the benefits of a child theme are that when the parent theme updates, let's say to take advantage of new functionality, you can take advantage of that functionality without having to code anything yourself. Get ready to level up your WordPress development skills.
- Setting up your development environment and editor
- Picking a parent theme
- Creating a child theme
- Including style sheets
- Creating and modifying styles
- Modifying functions
- Hooking functions
- Creating and modifying template files
- Adding menus and functionality
- Migrating theme files to a live WordPress site
Skill Level Intermediate
Using the exercise files1m 13s
1. Building on a Solid Foundation
2. Creating a Child Theme
3. Child Themes and CSS
4. Working with Function Files
5. Working with Template Files
6. Add New Functionality
7. Wrapping Up
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.