Once you've decided on a particular theme, you need to apply it to your WordPress site. This video walks through the process of adding and activating your chosen theme.
- In the last movie, we looked at three different themes that would all work well for a small business site. Now it's time to pick the one we'll use for this project. And who's the winner? I picked GeneratePress by Tom. It's clean, and offers a lot of design flexibility, but it's not overwhelmed with options. It also comes with multiple color selections so we can make some basic customizations without touching any code. And, of course, it looks good on mobile devices. So now that I've picked my theme, it's time to get a copy of the theme and install it on my site. I could download it here from WordPress, and then upload it from my WordPress admin, but there's an easier way. Any theme from the wordpress.org theme directory can be accessed from within WordPress admin. So if I go to my admin and click on Themes, click Add New, and search for GeneratePress, I see it come up and from right here I can go ahead and install it, which is essentially downloading it to my WordPress installation, and then go ahead and activate the theme. Once it's activated, I can look at my site, and there it is with my content, using the GeneratePress theme. I'm going to go back to my WordPress admin to the Themes section, and look for the details of GeneratePress. And here you can see that I'm using Version 2.2.2, which is the newest version available at the time of this recording. If you want to follow along with me exactly through the rest of this course, you can also use the GeneratePress theme, this Version 2.2.2. If you've selected a different theme to use, that's totally fine, you'll just want to refer to that themed documentation. Before we start configuring the theme, I want to highlight that when we installed it, we got this new menu item under Appearance called GeneratePress. I mentioned previously that GeneratePress is a free theme with premium upgrades available, and this page is where you can learn more about those premium features. You can browse support topics for the theme, or view documentation. There are also the regular customization options, which we'll take a look at in the next movie, and a button you can use to reset all of your theme settings. While this button doesn't interfere with your content, it will blow out any settings you've made to the theme, so don't press this button unless you're really sure that's what you want.
- Establishing site goals and needs
- Adding new pages
- Finding a theme and site images
- Customizing colors, fonts, and menus
- Setting up your webpages
- Adding contact forms and social media buttons
- Testing your site
- Securing your site