Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Install and activate BackUpWordPress, part of WordPress: Backing Up Your Site.
- [Narrator] The first plugin we'll look at is BackUpWordPress from Human Made, an influential Wordpress agency that has a lot of amazing stuff. BackUpWordPress comes in two flavors, a free version available directly from the Wordpress plugin directory, which allows you to backup your site to your own server, and premium version available from the Human Made website that allows you to send your backups to one of several services. We'll cover both of these options right here in this chapter. To start using BackUpWordPress, we first have to install it, and this can be done directly from the Wordpress admin panel.
So go to your site called the Dashboard, go to Plugins, and Add New, and search for BackUpWordPress, all in one word. This will automatically return this one with the big B, BackUpWordPress from Human Made Limited. This is the one you want to install, so I'll just click in Install now, and installs, and then we can activate it on our site. When the plugin is activated, you automatically get a message at the top of your Wordpress site that says, BackUpWordPress has set up your default schedules.
By default, BackUpWordPress performs a daily backup of your database, and a weekly backup of your database and files. You can modify these schedules. So that means, out of the box, BackUpWordPress is already running backups of your site. Now we can dive further into the plugin and see what else we can do with it.
- Figuring out what to back up on your WordPress site
- Installing and activating plugins
- Setting up automatic backups
- Accessing and managing backups
- Configuring third-party destinations
- Restoring your WordPress site from a backup