Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Install an EDD-specific theme, part of WordPress Ecommerce: Easy Digital Downloads.
- [Instructor] We've covered all of the essential functionality in EDD, the only problem is that it's a bit plain and you may want to get a really attractive theme for your site. The EDD team actually created a starter theme for all of their customers, this theme has some basic styling and it's ready for you to customize. There are also a dozen really nice themes on wordpress.org that are totally free and they're specifically made for EDD and speaking of wordpress.org, since EDD doesn't have a lot of custom templates, most themes work great with EDD.
You just have to do a few minor things like change button colors, which we'll cover later in the course and there are a number of paid themes that support EDD. One of my favorites is Marketify, it's built by a really reputable developer and it looks gorgeous. We're going to install the EDD starter theme, which is pretty empty and very plain, which is actually nice for theme developers. All of the unstyled elements make it easy to customize, but if you're not proficient with CSS I recommend starting with Marketify, one of the free themes on wordpress.org or one of the starter themes that's included with Wordpress.
Now the EDD starter theme is located on Github so you'll have to manually download it right here. We've already downloaded it to our desktop so we're going to go to our site and install it. Go to the admin, appearance, themes, and let's add a new one. I'll click upload, there it is, EDD starter and let's install it and let's go ahead and click live preview.
One of the things this theme does is it actually creates a list of your products on the homepage, which can be really nice. If you're looking at your page and you see text overlaying other text like right here, make sure you have an image set for each of your downloads and taller images work better. Now if we go into any of these product pages, we can see what those product pages look like. Let's go back to one that has an image and this is what one of the product pages within the image looks like, we'll see the image, the description and one of the things I do like is the purchase button is over here on the right hand side, it doesn't feel like it's part of the content, it feels like it's its own separate thing, which is kind of nice.
We can also keep going, look through various pages, like the news page, which is our list of blog posts and see those, and go to our about page and see that. Because this isn't a theme development course I'm going to switch back to 2017, because I like its basic layout and it already looks pretty good. So I'll click this little x, so I don't apply this theme and we can see the original 2017 theme is still working. In an upcoming video I'm going to show you how to customize your theme with CSS.
- What is Easy Digital Downloads (EDD)?
- Setting up WordPress for ecommerce
- Installing EDD
- Configuring payment options
- Setting up taxes
- Adding product data
- Testing the customer experience
- Working with third-party services
- Creating reports and discount codes