Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Identifying requirements for a community website, part of WordPress DIY: Community Website.
- Based on the goals and needs we mapped out…in the previous movie, we can now identify requirements…for both the content and the presentation of content…on the site.…This list will help inform our content creation as well as…the selection of a theme and supporting plug-ins.…The goal here is to create a guideline to use as we…decide how the site should be put together.…For the site I'm building, I've created the following list.…First, the site needs to have a clean and professional…design that also reflects the nature and attitude…of the community.…The example project I'm working on,…The Orange Valley Community Arts Association,…focuses on art and creativity, and that should be…reflected in color choices and design.…
Therefore, we need a theme that has a wide range…of customization options, especially where the…header section and colors are concerned.…Unlike many other types of sites, there's a good chance…visitors to a community site will land…on the front page first, either because they made…a google search or because they're coming back…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring the menus and layout
- Extending functionality with plugins
- Adding forums, events, and forms to your website
- Importing WordPress users as community members
- Securing your site and managing spam
Skill Level Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
Adding a custom menu3m 45s
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.