This course ships with exercise files to make it easy to follow along. In this video you'll learn what exercise files are available and how to use them.
- [Instructor] To make it easy for you to follow along with your own code, this course ships with exercise files. You can download them directly from the course page and place them anywhere on your computer, it does not matter. I placed them on my desktop and you can see them here. The exercise files are split into individual movie level folders, so each of the movies is marked with the chapter and the movie number. So, for example, this is chapter two, movie number oh four. For chapter two, each of these exercise files folders contains a plugin that we'll work with to add some functionality to WordPress.
If you jump into any one of these movies, you need to start by grabbing the exercise files here, grabbing the plugin folder and place it into the plugins folder in your locally installed WordPress site. That way, the plugin will be activated on your site and you can start working with it in your code editor at the same time. For chapters three and four, we're working with a standalone application that works independently of WordPress and just communicates with WordPress through the REST API. For these two chapters, you can just open any of the folders, then open the wpedit folder within it and start working with the files directly from there.
You can also run this file directly, because this is just a standalone website. So if you open up index.html in your browser it'll run just like any other website. When we start working with exercise files in the course I'll tell you and I'll tell you how to use them and any time you drop into a new movie, just remember to check to make sure you are using the exercise files for that movie. Also note that the last movie for each chapter has two exercise files folders, one that's for the movie itself, that you can follow along with, and one called, for instance, 02_08_END that contains the final product.
So that is what we did in the last movie and how I finalized the project. So if you want to see how I finalized everything, you can look at these end folders.
- What is authentication and when do you need it?
- Cookie authentication
- Creating a plugin for front-end editing
- Adding the front-end editing functionality using jQuery
- Limiting front-end editing to authorized users
- What is JWT authentication?
- Adding editing capability using Ajax
- OAuth 2 authentication
- Configuring JSO
- Making login and log out states meaningful