Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Firewall your site, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video, we're going to protect our site…with a powerful .htaccess firewall.…The 6G firewall by Perishable Press…is optimized for WordPress-powered sites,…and is very effective at blocking a vast spectrum…of bad bots, exploits, malware, and other wasteful nonsense.…As explained in the previous tutorial,…controlling traffic using .htaccess, instead of plugins,…is better for site performance,…because it happens at the server level.…So, there's no need to load PHP, the database,…site assets and everything else.…
Here we are looking at the root .htaccess file…for our demo site.…Notice the existing permalink rules at the top of the file.…To add the 6G firewall,…grab the code from the exercise files,…and paste it before any existing WordPress directives,…like so.…No modifications are required.…The 6G firewall is ready to protect your site,…right out of the box.…Just save the file and upload it to the server.…Note that .htaccess is touchy stuff,…and even a small copy-paste mistake…may cause a server error.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.