Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the WordPress template hierarchy, part of WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.
…To decide what template to use, when different types of content are…called in from the database, WordPress…uses what's known as the template hierarchy.…It looks like this, and what happens here is, WordPress moves from the left…to the right to try figure out which template it is going to use.…So first, the database returns information about the current…post, and WordPress asks, what kind of page is this?…And then depending on what type of page it is, whether…it be error page, or a search results page, or an…archive page, a single page, and so on, WordPress will go…through the hierarchy to figure out exactly which template kicks in.…
When you work with custom post type, it's important to know, how…exactly this affects custom post types, and also custom taxonomies, so that you…can use custom templates to intercept the template hierarchy, and that way…display custom post types and also…custom taxonomies using their own individual template.…As an example, if you visit a single post that is a custom post type,…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.