WordPress plugins enable you to extend WordPress in many ways. The key is understanding what has already been done, so you aren't reinventing the wheel.
- [Instructor] Why do we build WordPress plugins?…To answer that, consider the number one rule…when working with WordPress.…Don't modify the WordPress Core.…Changing anything in the WordPress core files…is a bad idea for two important reasons.…First, when WordPress is updated,…any core modifications will be overwritten and lost.…And second, changing stuff in the WordPress core…can break things and put your site at risk.…Fortunately, WordPress provides a powerful…and robust API that enables us to extend…default WordPress functionality…without touching any core files.…
So before diving into plugin development,…let's take a moment to explore…some of the diverse plugins currently available…in the WordPress plugin directory.…Understanding what's already been done…can help us make decisions regarding our own plugins…and help us brainstorm new ideas.…We may find a plugin that does exactly what we need,…or we may find a plugin that we can adopt…and continue development on our own or with a team.…As you can see here,…the WordPress plugin directory…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.