Explore the WordPress API and learn why it's important to use when developing WordPress plugins. Using the WordPress API can greatly simplify your code and it saves you from reinventing the wheel. Plus, it eliminates a lot of testing and helps to make your plugins the very best they can be.
- [Instructor] In the previous video we started…a plugin with the very basics.…From here all of the code that we'll use to build…our plugin should utilize the Wordpress API.…In this video we'll explore some of the many APIs…that are available to Wordpress developers.…API stands for Application Programming Interface.…The Wordpress API is comprised of numerous individual…APIs each of which focuses on a specific type of…functionality.…For example the options API enables us to store options…in the Wordpress database.…
Taken together the Wordpress APIs make it possible for…plugins and themes to interact with, modify and extend…Wordpress core functionality.…Understanding which APIs are available really helps…us to choose the right tool for the job…when building Wordpress plugins.…Let's look at a rundown of some of most commonly…used APIs.…The names for these APIs are pretty self explanatory,…for example, the dashboard widgets API enables us to add…new widgets to the Wordpress dashboard.…The database API enables us to work with the database…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.