Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Establishing goals and needs for the site, part of WordPress DIY: Community Website.
- When building a new website,…it's important to start out right.…That means mapping out your Goals and Needs,…and figuring out your content before starting…the actual process of building the site itself.…The project we've started here,…is to build a website for a community,…and the first step in that process is to figure out…what Goals we want to achieve…and what Needs we have for the site.…Let's start with the Goals.…Here I ask myself a simple question.…Why do we need a website for our community?…The answers are the Goals for the site.…A community is only a community if it has…a large and vibrant membership base.…
The website will play a crucial role in bringing in…new members and keeping the existing members coming back.…To facilitate this, the website should provide information…to existing and prospective members, about membership…and benefits, as well as community activities.…One way of providing value to the community members,…is to showcase the work and achievements…of community members.…That can easily be done through the community blog.…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring the menus and layout
- Extending functionality with plugins
- Adding forums, events, and forms to your website
- Importing WordPress users as community members
- Securing your site and managing spam
Skill Level Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
Adding a custom menu3m 45s
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.